John J. Sodergren and his father cut a path probably in the 1880′s from their log house near the Little Madawaska River in Stockholm, Maine to Madawaska Lake in the Maine Swedish Colony established in 1870. John J. Sodergren catered to the local population that spent their summer holidays at the lake. A steamboat was in use and rowboats were for rent as were lakeside cabins. A barn was built near the shore for the horses. In the winter, ice was cut from Madawaska Lake for use in the summertime.
Mabel Sodergren bought the store from her father in 1914 and ran the business with her her second husband Andrew Lawson for many years. The business was purchased by Chester Buzzell upon their retirement. Buzzell sold to Stan Thomas who was the last owner of the building which was torn down in 2006.
Madawaska Lake is still a popular spot for swimming and boating, a little treasure in far northern Maine cherished by many residents and visitors.