The Capitoleum was built in 1870 soon after the first group of Swedish settlers arrived. It was a community center and served as a place for new arrivals to camp before moving to their own lots. The building marks the area where the settlers arrived. It was used as the first school and as a store and post office.W. W. Thomas stayed here during the early days of the Colony.