More Photos from 1970 New Sweden
Some More Photos of New Sweden, Maine Taken in 1970
Photographed by Anders Tidstrom, Orebro, Sweden and sent to Jean Duncan, Madawaska Lake, Maine, February 2009
The information from Anders Tidstrom about each photo is in italics below each image. Following the italics is information remembered in 2009 about the image.
No. 1 Four elderly men chatting at Anderson´s cottage at Madawaska Lake
It’s likely that one of the men was David Anderson’s father, Walter. David played host to Anders Tidstrom on his 1970 visit to the New Sweden area and brought him to visit at his father’s cottage at Madawaska Lake. Can you identify the men?
Paul Carlson says, “Photo #1 shows Walter Anderson, David’s father, on the far left. It was taken at their camp on. John and Karen Erickson have that camp now.”
The man in the back sitting on a lawn chair is Hampy Johnson, (identified by his daughter.)
No. 2 A close up portrait of Ralph Nelson
Ralph Nelson was a farmer in the Lebanon section of New Sweden on land that his family owned for many years. The farm is still owned by the Nelson family. Is that Madawaska Lake in the background?
No. 3 and 4: I have no better guess than you. Who is doing what?
Perhaps the man is repairing a water pump? Is he in a barn?
Paul Carlson says, “Photos #3 and #4 show Fritjof Jacobson pulling up the pump in our well house in Westmanland. After years of abandonment,the derelict condition of that little structure was “in character” with the summer kitchen and log house when we bought the place from Fritjof and Olive Jacobson in 1969. The other structures at least had sound roofs. That property was know as the Algot Anderson place.
I repaired the pump house in 1970 using salvaged lumber from Albin Carlson up the road. The structure served us well when we spent summers living in the summer kitchen while we fixed up the log house. In 1978 we upgraded the house adding the present kitchen and garage. At that time we installedand running water.
The pump house no longer served a useful purpose other than for storage. Porcupines managed to make a mess of it all. I had the structure demolished several years ago.”
No 5: Landscape
Here is a distant view of the John Sodergren farm in Stockholm, Maine on Route 161. The Little Madawaska River is at the bottom of the hill. A road at the bottom of the hill bears to the right, leading to the town of Stockholm, Maine. The road continues north to Fort Kent, Maine, site of the border station crossing into Canada.
Jons Olofson Sodergren (1820 Undersaker, Sweden-1902 Stockholm, Maine) immigrated in 1879 with his wife and youngest son. Other family members followed in the succeeding years and settled their own farms.
No 6: Landscape
The road, Route 161, leads north through the Swedish colony to the Canadian border, about a forty-five minute drive. The Cook house on the right was renovated by David Anderson and is now owned by Karl Espling, a descendant of Johan Jacob Espling who immigrated in 1910. Anna, Johan’s wife, and their ten children followed him to New Sweden the following year.
No 7: An old house with that traditional wooden roof
The property pictured above is known locally as the Ostlund house. It is owned by Maine Swedish Colony, Inc. (a group dedicated to historic preservation) and was restored as the oldest two-story log house in Maine. It is open for tours in the summer and is visited by many during Midsommar in June and on Founder’s Day on July 23 each summer. The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States.
The first owner of the farm was Anders Malmquist in 1871 who built a cabin that no longer exists.
The second owner of the farm and builder of the two-story log house pictured was Noak Larsson (1830 Undersaker, Sweden- 1904 New Sweden, Maine) who immigrated in 1871 with his wife Agnes and four children. The Larsson family was one of a group of eleven families that emigrated together from Undersaker, Sweden.
The third owner of the farm was George Ostlund (1874 Klovsjo, Sweden-1953 Caribou, Maine.) George immigrated in 1903 and bought this farm in 1910 where he and his wife Esther raised eleven children.
For more about the families of Noak Larsson and George Ostlund:
For more about the George Ostlund’s:
No. 8: Another landscape
The Jepson farm stands in the middle of a hill surrounded by potato fields, one of the last New Sweden farms where the soil is still producing potatoes. Floyd Jepson (1916-2008 ) lived here his whole life and was a potato farmer. He and his wife Elaine raised four children here on the farm. Arthur Otto Jepson (1877 Maine-1961 Maine), Floyd’s father, farmed the land a generation earlier. Mons Jepson, Arthur Otto’s father, was born in Sweden in 1847, died in 1923, and was buried at New Sweden Cemetery.
The earliest occupants of the farm were Karl and Maria Kristina (Falk) Blixt and their son Per Erik who immigrated in 1871.
No. 9: Wood brick house
Maine Swedish Colony, Inc. owns and has renovated the Lars Noaksson Blacksmith and Woodworking Shop which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States. Tours and demonstrations are given in the summer.
Lars Noak (1855 Sweden-1940 Maine) immigrated when he was 16 years old with his father Noak Larsson, mother, and three younger siblings. Lars built the shop and the house (just to the right in the photo) on thirty acres of land that his father deeded to him. Lars and his wife Anna had no descendants. The shop was abandoned for over forty years after Lars death before the property was acquired by Maine Swedish Colony, Inc. and restoration began. Lars Noak’s tools were exactly as he had left them when he died.
For a recent image of the blacksmith shop:
For more about the Noak Larsson family:
No. 10: church
The Evangelical Covenant Church of New Sweden was built in 1885 and formerly was known as the Mission Church. A kitchen/fellowship hall has since been built that extends from the back right corner and is parallel to the road in front of the church.
One of the ministers of the church was Olof P. Fogelin (1860 Malmo, Sweden-1917 New Sweden, Maine.) He arrived in New Sweden with his parents in 1871. Rev. Fogelin served the church for over 26 years. He married Anna Brita Hedman (1860 Jemtland, Sweden- 1938 Maine) and had two sons and three daughters. Anna, age eleven years, immigrated in 1871 with her parents and four siblings.
No. 11 and 12: RR-crossing everything but trains
The railroad crossing no longer exists. The railroad tracks were removed and an extensive system of trails for snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles was built. The New Sweden Post Office on the left is now the center of activity on this eastern end of town (known locally as the “B&A,” because the Bangor and Aroostook train came to the station that was located to the right of the edge of the photo.) The two story building no longer exists.
N0. 13: The cruiser Emma and some Swedish toes
“Emma” apparently was the name of the wooden rowboat owned by the David Anderson family at Madawaska Lake. The toes belong to visitor Anders Tidstrom, our photographer from Sweden.
No. 14: Road sign and the Millers
The directional sign stood at the northeast corner of the Jepson Road and the Westmanland Road. All traffic through New Sweden once came by this sign, but a “by-pass” was built and now traffic is limited to just local destinations. (Does anyone know then the “by-pass” was built?)
The two story house in the background was home to the Reverend Miller and his family of the Evangelical Covenant Church of New Sweden. The Millers moved away from New Sweden.
David Anderson restored this house, locally referred to as “the old grange hall.” The grange was an organization that helped farm families with many aspects of rural life. The New Sweden Grange grew to over 100 members from the surrounding communities, but with decline in interest the grange was dissolved in 1966.
No. 15: David Anderson´s car at well known crossroad
Dan and Megan Olson currently own the house on the left side of the picture on the Jepson Road in New Sweden.
In 1970 the house was owned by Wilbert and Amy Holmquist. The Miller home is on the right side of the photo.
No. 16: Priscilla Miller biking at the same place
The left side of photo shows the Wilbert and Amy Holmquist home on the Jepson Road in New Sweden now owned by Dan and Megan Olson.
Feel free to leave public comments below! Thank you.
Please contact me for corrections, additions, updates, etc.